Hunter Research is working with Mills + Schnoering Architects for the County of Mercer in the creation of a stabilized ruin of the John Rogers House in Mercer County Park, New Jersey. This long-abandoned dwelling is a patterned-brick farmhouse typical of the colonial period in the Lower Delaware Valley. The date in the gable end of this house, picked out in vitrified brick, has long been the subject of debate. Does it read, “1751” or “1761”? In recent years the later date has been gaining greater acceptance. During the dismantling of the house interior several handhewn framing timbers were salvaged by archaeological monitors working in concert with the general contractor. Since several of these beams retained a “waney edge” they were considered good candidates for tree-ring dating. Samples were submitted for analysis to Dr. Daniel L. Druckenbrod, Associate Professor of Geological, Environmental and Marine Sciences at Rider University. According to Dr. Druckenbrod, the results conclusively show that the timbers analyzed were cut “between the late growing season of 1751 but before the start of the 1752 growing season.” Now we can finally put the debate over the age of this house to rest. 1751 wins!