Following receipt of a grant from the New Jersey Historic Trust, the City of Trenton retained Hunter Research to design a series of historic interpretive signs for the recently re-landscaped Mill Hill Park in the heart of the downtown. Our firm is actively cultivating a specialty in heritage tourism products and is gaining a region-wide reputation for high-quality promotion of historic sites through informative signage, posters, brochures and related digital media.
Mill Hill Park lies at the core of the Second Battle of Trenton (aka the Battle of the Assunpink) in which American forces successfully repelled the British advance across the Assunpink Creek on January 2, 1777. The park also contains the Douglass House (where George Washington strategized the surprise attack on Princeton on the following day) as well as the site of the city's founding gristmill, established by Mahlon Stacy in 1678. A fine steel truss bridge fabricated locally by the New Jersey Steel and Iron Company in 1888 spans the creek as a reminder of Trenton's later industrial might. All of these historical topics are highlighted in a series of free-standing signs and in a tri-sided kiosk at the park entrance that also includes a full-size panel introducing park visitors to other historic landmarks in the city.