Pearl S. Buck House
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
In 1934, three years after publication of The Good Earth, author Pearl S. Buck purchased a vacant 19th-century stone farmhouse in Hilltown Township, Pennsylvania. Over the next three-plus decades she was responsible for numerous changes and additions to the physical fabric of the house. In 1967 Ms. Buck conveyed the property to the Pearl S. Buck Foundation.
In 2004, during preparation of a historic structures report, Hunter Research was retained to research and write the history of the house. This included compilation of a chain of title for the property, transcribed interviews with family and staff, and review of selected home movies shot at the house. Using these sources as well as published memoirs, Hunter Research produced an illustrated report detailing the history of the property and when and why various changes were made to it.
Client: Ford Farewell Mills & Gatsch Architects LLC